As a first-time parent, planning your baby’s summer wardrobe can be tricky. Between the scorching-hot temperatures outside, the AC blasting inside and the fact that babies need help controlling their own body temperature, there is simply a lot to keep in mind when choosing your baby’s outfit of the day. To help you prepare for the warmer months ahead, here is a handy guide on how to dress your newborn in the summer.
How to Dress a Newborn in the Summer Heat
One of the biggest advantages to having a newborn in the summertime is getting to enjoy all of the fresh air and sunshine. However, you’ll want to take a few precautions with your precious little one. Before you head outside with your baby, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Choose lightweight fabrics. When the mercury rises, stick to quality fabrics that are lightweight and breathable. Cotton is a wonderful choice for babies because it feels soft against their sensitive skin and keeps them cool on warmer days.
- Remove layers as needed. If the temperature is above 75 degrees Fahrenheit, a single layer should be enough to keep your little one comfortable. Onesies® Brand Bodysuits are the ideal summer outfit for baby because you can simply add a layer if it starts to get too cold.
- Consider sun protection. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies under the age of six months should be kept out of direct sunlight. When you’re out and about with your baby, dress them in protective clothing and use a baby hat to keep their little head covered. If your baby will tolerate them, baby sunglasses with UV protection are an effective (and adorable!) way to protect their eyes from the sun.
- Dress the baby appropriately for a swim. Going for a dip in the pool with your little cutie? Keep their skin safe from the sun with baby swimwear made with UPF fabric. Our swimwear blocks 98 percent of the sun’s harmful rays to help keep your baby’s skin healthy!
Dressing a Baby According to Indoor Temperature
Wondering what your baby should wear indoors during the summertime? From suitable sleepwear to the ideal room temperature for your baby, here are a few tips to ensure your newborn’s comfort:
- Stick to thin layers. If you like to keep your home temperature on the chillier side, it’s a good idea to dress the baby in lightweight layers. Consider adding a pair of pants to your baby’s bodysuit for extra warmth. You can also slip on a pair of socks to keep them comfortable while the AC is running.
- Dress the baby comfortably for sleep. No matter what the weather is like outside, you’ll want to dress your baby in accordance with the ambient temperature inside your home for sleeping. On warm nights, keep your baby cool and comfortable in a short-sleeve bodysuit made from organic cotton and a swaddle blanket. Soft cotton rompers are also a great option for mild nights.
- Skip the blankets at naptime. Putting your little one down for a nap? Skip the blankets and opt for a lightweight sleep sack instead. Wearable sleep sacks provide babies with the same comfort and security as blankets without the increased risk of overheating.
Additional Tips for Keeping Your Baby Cool in the Summer
Looking for more ways to beat the heat? Here are a few additional tips for keeping your baby cool on a hot, summer day.
- Rethink disposable diapers. Disposable diapers have a plastic layer that is designed to trap moisture, which can lead to a sweaty baby bottom and diaper rash. Keep your little one cool and comfortable by choosing cloth diapers instead. Not only are cloth diapers more breathable compared to disposable diapers, they’re also better for your budget and the environment.
- Opt for light colors. During the warmer months, dress your baby in pastels and light colored neutrals, such as gray and white. Light colors absorb less heat compared to darker colors, keeping your baby cooler in hot weather.
- Give the baby a cooler bath. On extra-hot days, consider turning the temperature of your baby’s bath water down a little. Misting your baby with water is also a great way to cool them down.
Beat the Heat with All-New Styles from Gerber Childrenswear
With warmer days on the horizon, it’s important to understand how to dress a newborn in the summer. With these tips, you and your baby can make the most of warm, summer days ahead.
Need to freshen up your baby’s summer wardrobe? Get ready for warm-weather adventures with all-new arrivals from Gerber Childrenswear. From short-sleeved Onesies® Brand Bodysuits to soft and sweet baby girl dresses, we have the best summer baby clothes for your little one.