Gerber Childrenswear's Approach to Sustainability
Gerber was founded on the ambition to give babies the best start in life. That's why our work doesn't stop at clothing baby, and why every day, we take action to protect the planet so Gerber babies will grow and thrive for generations to come.
Doing Our Part
We're striving to achieve 100% recyclable packaging, eliminate PVC in packaging, and to label all packaging advising on how to recycle by 2025 to reduce our impact on the planet.
What we've done so far:
- Over 75% of our product packaging is currently recyclable.
- Utilized How2Recycle labeling on select packaging to advise consumers on how to properly recycle.
- Utilized certifications on paper-based packaging to ensure forest protection for our future.
- Advised customers to use cold water wash to reduce environmental impact of our products post purchase.
Responsible Fabrics & Products
We are committed to using fabrics and trims that are eco-friendly, regenerated, and produced with sustainable chemistry to reduce the impact to our environment, our children, and the workers in our supply chain.
What we've done so far and where we are headed:
- Utilized Organic cotton fiber certified to USDA NOP standards to reduce environmental impact and the use of harmful pesticides and fertilizers.
- Utilized recycled polyester fiber certified to globally recognized standards to reduce the amount of plastics in our landfills and oceans.
- Utilized STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® certification on products tested in an independent laboratory against a list of more than 350 harmful substances.
- We are a proud member of The Better Cotton Initiative/BCI.
- The Better Cotton Initiative/BCI makes global cotton production better for the people who produce it, better for the environment it grows in, and better for the sector's future.
- Better Cotton is sourced via a system of Mass Balance.
- We are committed to sourcing 50% of our cotton as Better Cotton by 2026.
Responsible Supply Chain
We are working towards protecting the quality of air we breathe, water we drink, and preserving the earth for future generations by engaging our global suppliers and U.S. based operations to improve our social and environmental impact.
What we've done so far:
- Set expectations of suppliers, assessed supply chain risk, monitored environmental and social conditions thru auditing, and partnered with them to make improvements.
- Collaborated with peers to make progress on key industry-wide issues such as forced and underage labor, to address unsafe working conditions, and to promote worker dignity.
- Reduced U.S. operations carbon emissions by 6% over the 2017 baseline toward a goal of 20% by 2025 thru operational changes and efficient lighting projects.
Our Recycling Program
To help keep our world as pure as our little ones, we have partnered with Gerber Baby Foods in their comprehensive recycling program. Now you can recycle Gerber baby food packaging and Gerber small and large hook clothing hangers with the opportunity to fundraise for charity with the national recycling program powered by TerraCycle® and Gerber®. Gerber was founded on the ambition to give babies the best start in life. That's why our work doesn't stop at clothing baby, and why every day, we take action to protect the planet so Gerber babies will grow and thrive for generations to come.
TerraCycle enables you to recycle items that were previously unrecyclable, like our hangers. Members of TerraCycle's Free Recycling Programs are automatically enrolled in the TerraCycle Points Program. For each shipment you send in, you can earn points and redeem them for a donation to a school or organization of your choice to spread the goodness even further.
Get Involved and sign up today! https://www.terracycle.com/en-us/brigades/gerber